• University transfer procedure in USA for International students

    How does university transfer work for international students in USA especially for them on F1 Visa.? Changing the university in the first semester. Is it possible to transfer to another admit in USA without joining the university for which i got stamped F1 Visa?

    University transfer in USA

    One can transfer from current university by transferring SEVIS number to the destination University and getting I-20 from the university. If you already have I-20 in hand you just need to ask the current university to transfer SEVIS number to the destination university.

    University transfer is same for both Graduate and Undergraduate international students.

    University transfer in USA with new I-20 in hand

    Here is the Transfer process on F1 visa without attending the new university.

    Some students who got F1 visa may want to change the university incase of any other better admit or to move to a low fee university. Students in this scenario usually have I-20 from destination university in hand.

    1. You must come to the university on the F1 Visa and then you have to start the transfer process.
    2. You need to inform the International student office about your intention to move to a different school. After your transfer-out request current university will start your transfer request.
    3. You must join the school with in the 15 days of start date on I-20 of the transferring in school.

    Some colleges won't accept transfers in first semester. There is no database to know who will accept transfers in first semester. E-mail the school's international student officer to know the information.

    When you are requesting for a new I-20 from transferring-in school

    If you don't have I-20 from school which you want to transfer apply for the school for the admission.
    Once the university confirms the admission know your intention of transfer to the old school.
    They will initiate the new transfer process.
    You will receive new I-20 only after the transfer process is complete.

    You will be in valid F1 visa status in USA thought your SEVIS transfer process.
    Comments 1 Comment
    1. moid's Avatar
      moid -
      plz guide me . why stem degree is important for international students. i am living in illinois state and i already had enrolled in depaul university as a ELA student because of my low score in ielts 6.0 ovrall. now i want to transfer my admission to another university but i cant fint a university who offer OPT<CPT and had a stem degree course. My concerns to do majoring in MIS program. right now i am living in illinois .i will be very thankful if you reply me. plz
      take cre
    Comments Leave Comment

    Click here to log in


  • Advertisement

  • Recent Forum Posts


    admission process

    I've got similar scores like you, Chaithanya. I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too. Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Ekdahl Yesterday, 03:16 PM Go to last post

    Quant preparation

    Hi Ashima, there are many sites which you can refer to GRE test preparation. The very first thing you should do is to take a practice test by ETS. This

    sayacharming 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM Go to last post

    How to set up Norton? How to download Norton?

    Norton Setup Security developed by Symantec is the latest security suite that works on MS Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS platforms.

    customerhelp 02-13-2018, 02:29 AM Go to last post
  • Recent Articles