Can i apply to Greencard While doing Masters in USA?
I am currently doing Masters in USA and will be graduating next semester. Can i apply for US Greencard while doing Masters in USA? By Having MS or PhD degree, will i get green card? What is the process for applying for Greencard while studying in US University?
What is Greencard? Different ways to get Greencard - Eligibility to get Greencard>>>
Greencard Guide for Masters and PhD Students
Here are some points to understand about Greencard.
- Students currently in US Universities (doing Masters or PhD) are eligible for greencard petetion.
- You need an Employer in USA to sponser Greencard.
- You need not to be his employee to get greencard.
- OPT,CPT studets are eligible to apply for greencard. You Don't need to wait till you get H1b visa Status.
- Greencard is for future employment. If an employer is willing to sponsor you future and permanent employment, he will apply for Greencard for you.
- Typically Greencard process involve three steps.
- Labor Certification
- You can't apply to GC by your own.
- There are 3 categories in Employment based Greencard.
- EB1 - For PhD students, IT Managers
- EB2 - MS in US Students and 4 yr Bachelor degree student with 5 yrs of work experience
- EB3 - Just bachelors degree is enough.
- You will get Greencard Immediately in EB1 category since the category is current now.
- Average time to get GC in Eb2 is 4-8 years. in EB3 it is 10-70 years.
- Once you get greencard, you can start your own business in USA. You can work for any employer in USA after getting Greencard.
- India and China have separate greencard categories from Rest of the World (ROW).